Welcome to the freshwaterecology.info database. Here you can find autecological characteristics, ecological preferences and biological traits as well as distribution patterns of more than 20,000 European freshwater organisms belonging to fish, macro-invertebrates, macrophytes, diatoms and phytoplankton.
The ecology data feature distributional parameters (e.g. ecoregional distribution or endemism, etc.), regional parameters (e.g. stream zonation or altitudinal preference, etc.), habitat parameters (e.g. temperature or substrate preference, etc.) or life related parameters (e.g. feeding type or life duration, etc.) and others. All ecological parameters can be individually combined and queried.
Find your freshwater organism and its ecological preferences (» Quick Search).
Create your standardised taxalist for each of the organism groups and enter data for up to 230 samples (» TET - Taxa Entry Tool).
Upload your taxalist, validate it and export your taxa including selected ecological parameters (» TVT - Taxa Validation Tool).
Login and contact
The data presented on this website result from various EU-funded projects. We encourage a broad use of the data for purposes in science and water management. Before accessing the majority of the data, however, we kindly ask you to register, you will then get a username and a password. This procedure will ensure that we can notify you of major updates of the database. Please contact » Astrid Schmidt-Kloiber (email@example.com) for your personal login.
The freshwaterecology.info database is a "living document" and therefore permanently under improvement. If you want to contribute to the database, detect any error, encounter problems during the query process or have any suggestion for improvemen regarding design, content, user-friendliness and accessibility, please feel free to contact us at » Astrid Schmidt-Kloiber (firstname.lastname@example.org)
6th of May 2015: Version 6.0 launched online!!
Version 6.0 of freshwaterecology.info now offers - among others - the following new/additional features:
- feature: ecological parameters are now accompanied by this icon. If you click on it you will get background information on the ecological parameter as well as on the classification system and the abbreviations used. Please note that you should allow pop-up windows to use this feature.
- Directly below the each ecological parameter you will find the information for which higher systematic units it is available.
- For the query of ecological parameters with more than one category to choose from, we have added the option to only display taxa complying with the selected category.
- For a detailed overview on the current content, the numbers and percentages of assigned taxa (either ordered by parameter or by higher systematic unit) we created a new content overview page (» Content overview).
- Macro-invertebrates: several new ecological parameters were added (e.g. small-scale geographical distribution information and forewing length for Trichoptera, acid class, rheo-index, rhithral and potamal preferences as well as a climate change vulnerability index).
- For some taxa we added information regarding existing ecological parameters.
- Export options: we optimised the query results export as well as the TVT export. You can now choose if missing values should be exported as "empty cells" or as "0 values".
- Taxa Validation Tool (TVT): Upload of your own taxalists now also works with xlsx-files.
- Additionally we updated the database in the background and optimised quality control features.
Please note: we are currently reviewing the ecological parameters of fishes and working on the classification of Odonata. These data will be available with the next update.
March 2015: Publication on freshwaterecology.info available
We have now published the work on freshwaterecology.info summarsing our efforts of the past ten years in Ecological Indicators:
Previous news can be found in the » News archive.